minutes

Minutes-04/06/1965

Open the PDF Searchable (OCR) PDF

Page 1 of 2

Text read by the vision model; check the PDF for anything that matters.
of getting this shallow water aquifer down there. If we go down there, we will have to drill, haul under the track and we will be a long ways from the distribution. He said try this side of the track. You've got a terrace up here and it is apparent that the underground structure of this terrace is what limits the infill of aquifer. Down in the flood plain you have a chance of at least doing as well and possibly doing a lot better. But he said on this well we were limited by the amount of money set aside; we took a chance. But he said usually when a town is looking for water they pick about 10 likely spots and they go down and drill. Here we have a small amount of money to go with and we took a chance. So he said whatever has to be done we want to get it started soon and earlier in the week I had called Wayne Reed and told him he is busy; he has two other water jobs but Walt says that Latta holds his price pretty firm and competitive and he said if you wait to someone else you probably wouldn't be any better off. If you do decide to drill another well, be sure to let the geologist know. Do you fellows feel that we should try to push this? He said this could possibly supply you 15 gallons a minute. Latta doesn't quote a price until he knew how much more he would have to do here. Walt said you should go down alongside it with a new well and cement the casing. He said the well level dropped, but the observation holes didn't drop as much as he expected them to drop, so he felt the well would be capable to producing more than it is now with a better casing. In the long run it doesn't pay to use the water in deep aquifer because of the cost of treating it. There is an example of another town about 2 or 3 times the size of Tiffin who went 2 or 3 miles out of town to get this type of water. Might be cheaper to go under the railroad tracks rather than buy more property. Rogers property. Went down to see Meardon and hadn't initiated anything. As a matter of fact the day I went in there he told me she had just brought in three abstracts that they had to be traced way back. I said we have to have a legal document otherwise we couldn't sell any bonds. He called me up and asked if we could come down and identify the abstracts. We found the right one. I don't know when you can get this; the abstract company has stuff piled up all over. Supposing I go over there and talk to him. He said I'll call him. The fellow agreed to take care of it right away. What happens is that our attorney Tucker has to give an opinion on this abstract. A week later we got a long letter from Tucker which he sends to Meardon. In the meantime we get some kind of temporary permission to go ahead. As soon as this abstract is brought to date we can shell over the dough. NEW BUSINESS: Money and bills DOGS: Will find out about setting up April 20 for Rabies Clinic. Will contact Dr. Love. Read letter from Superintendent of Schools endorsing a vocational school for this area. All in favor. Resolution was passed unanimously to send DeWaine a carton of cigarettes and a plant. Several things we have discussed. We can get community loans for senior citizen housing. A survey of this area has indicated that in Johnson County we could fill without any trouble a 24-apartment unit. The problem is where to put it. This is something the town itself could do on revenue bonds. The town itself could purchase the land and develop it with federal help. Bill Verry moved, Bill Bream seconded the motion to adjourn. Carried.

Sources

This document's details as JSON

Data last updated October 15, 2026. Built from the archive's documents; see how the data is built.